help on picking an IMAP server

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Thu Mar 22 12:13:41 UTC 2007

> I have been using imap-uw for some time but now I would like to
> have an imap server that can have subfolders. Out with imap-uw..
>
> I tried dovecot but I was unable to get it to create subfolders,
> although it seems some say you can, may people are having problems
> doing so, and I didn't like the fact that it changes the format of
> the folders from the mbox standard.

You must have been doing something wrong.  I have Dovecot in multiple
places and never had any trouble creating folders/subfolders.

I use Maildir format for my mail store, for multiple reasons that you
can research via Google if you're curious.  Perhaps the Maildir support
is better than mbox.  If that's the case, you may want to consider
switching to Maildir -- there is at least one mbox -> Maildir conversion
utility out there.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com