puc and uart as modules with FreeBSD6.2-REL

Jonathan McKeown jonathan at hst.org.za
Sun Mar 18 08:46:31 UTC 2007

On Sunday 18 March 2007 08:32, Brian A. Seklecki wrote:

[Jonathan wanted to use puc(4) and uart(4) as kernel modules to get a PCI
2-port serial card working]

> > Am I missing something obvious, or do I need to compile yet another
> > custom kernel to get this card working?

> The man page I see says that you need sio(4) as well.
>
> "iso* at puc? port ?"
>
> Or in the fbsd case, the iso module or option in the kernel.

sio(4) is part of the generic kernel. It doesn't appear to have puc/sio
compiled in - I did find a reference to this problem and the solution
suggested was that puc(4) and sio(4) had to be either both compiled in or
both loaded as modules - since either involves a new custom kernel, which I'm
trying to avoid as I prefer to run as few different kernels as possible, this
solution is not ideal.

I did see some suggestion that puc had been modified to register itself with
uart(4) if it failed to do so with sio(4) - this may have been on 7-current,
and I don't know whether it has been MFC'd to 6.2.

kldstat -v -n uart gives me:

Id Refs Address    Size     Name
 4    1 0xc2568000 b000     uart.ko
        Contains modules:
                Id Name
                377 acpi/uart
                378 isa/uart
                379 pccard/uart
                380 cardbus/uart
                381 pci/uart
                382 puc/uart

and man uart tells me:

The primary support for devices that con-
tain multiple serial interfaces or that contain other functionality
besides one or more serial interfaces is provided by the puc(4) device
driver.  However, the serial interfaces of those devices that are managed
by the puc(4) driver are controlled by the uart driver.

If this is the case, how can I get the ports on my card recognised by the
uart(4) driver? Or am I going about this wrongly?

Jonathan