Corrupted OS

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Sun Mar 18 06:35:11 UTC 2007

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 13:09:12 -0700 Garrett Cooper wrote:
 > Drew Jenkins wrote:
 > > /etc/fstab says ufs. Is there a better way to check if its ufs2?
 > > Drew2
 > >
 > > Garrett Cooper <youshi10 at u.washington.edu> wrote: On Mar 16, 2007, at 7:34 PM, Drew Jenkins wrote:
 > >
 > >> How large is "large"? Why filesystem are you using with what
 > >> options?The MySQL database was just under a gigabyte, and the Zope
 > >> Data.fs file/database was somewhere under 2 gigabytes. Options? No
 > >> options. I had symlinks from where these dbases were supposed to
 > >> live on the SCSI drives to the 500 GB drive. Then suddenly, poof!
 > >> They were gone.
 > >> Drew
 > >
 > > Well, I was curious because I thought it could be something to deal
 > > with the 2GB file limit. You still haven't answered my question about
 > > the filesystem though: are you using UFS2 or something else?
 > >
 > > Thanks,
 > > -Garrett
 >
 > The easiest way to figure out if you're running UFS2 is to go to the
 > disk label feature within sysinstall, and define a mount point for the
 > slice. Make sure _not_ to make any changes though as you'll be thrusting
 > yourself in the middle of a system upgrade (CTRL-C is your friend).

Perhaps even a bit easier:

paqi% dumpfs /dev/ad0s2a | head -1
magic   19540119 (UFS2) time    Sun Mar 18 15:48:35 2007

Also, 'dumpfs <device> | head -20' provides far more than anyone wants
to know but including maxfilesize, flags (eg none or soft-updates) and
fsmnt (last mounted on).  Works on unmounted or mounted drives.

Cheers, Ian