Problem with X11 and S3 Savage video card

Mike michel.boto at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 15:35:28 UTC 2007

Lubomir Toshev wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to run X11 on a machine with FreeBSD 6.2 and S3 Savage
> video card. The installation of X11 was successful. The initial test
> is ok, everything seems to function normally. The problem occures when
> I try to exit the test with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace. At that moment it
> looks like an attempt is made to switch the video mode and the screen
> remains black. After some time the monitor goes to power down mode as
> if there is no video signal.

By "test" do you mean you just ran the startx script without having a
desktop environment installed?  Did an xterm  (or rather 3 xterms) pop
up?  If so, usually closing it or typing "exit" at the prompt inside of
it should cause the X-Server to shutdown.

As far as killing the server with the keyboard, compare the values in
the manpage with those in your configuration file for "man xorg.conf"
regarding these options:  DontZap, DontVTSwitch, HandleSpecialKeys, and
XkbDisable.

It may also be that xkbmap is not loading or cannot find your keyboard
map.  The next time you start the server, try logging all output
somewhere and seeing if there are any errors coming up.
> Please, give me a link to a possible solution.

http://linuxreviews.org/man/XF86Config/

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2004-September/thread.html#3473
(For the above: Read the entire thread starting with Xorg 6.8.1: can't
switch VT or resolution)