Don't buy AMD products (was Re: Xorg and ATI card query.)

Andrew Reilly andrew-freebsd at areilly.bpc-users.org
Thu Mar 15 08:18:23 UTC 2007

On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 11:55:20AM -0400, Sean Bryant wrote:
> Try the 'vesa' xorg driver. It may not be fancy or all that accelerated
> but it works quite well. I have an nvidia card and cannot get it to work
> for the life of me. the drive attached, but nothing happens after that.
> It might be the fact that I have a PCI express card. But the vesa driver
> is working just fine for me.

I have tried the vesa driver.  Indeed I re-use it sometimes when
I power-cycle the computer, because one of the quirks of the nv
driver is that it doesn't seem to be able to put the card into a
state where it actually displays a useful or stable image.  Once
the vesa driver has that sorted out, though, the nv driver seems
to work reliably for me, and seems to be slightly faster, thanks
(I think) to some 2D acceleration.

Other things the nv driver won't do for me: power control of
the monitor from screen-saver, and ability to drive my display
at its rated 1600x1200 resolution (logs claim that it's
restricted to 1280x1024 by BIOS, whatever that means...)
I don't think that the vesa driver can do either of those
either, though.

Cheers,

--
Andrew