Don't buy AMD products (was Re: Xorg and ATI card query.)

Abdullah Ibn Hamad Al-Marri almarrie at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 05:37:26 UTC 2007

On 3/13/07, Nikolas Britton <nikolas.britton at gmail.com> wrote:
> We need to start hounding on AMD to publish the developer
> documentation for all radeon chipsets. I for one will not buy any AMD
> or ATI components until they decide to fix the problem.
>
> Here's the email address of AMD's president: dirk.meyer at amd.com
>
> Give him your two cents.
>

> On 3/12/07, Daniel O'Connor <doconnor at gsoft.com.au> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 13 March 2007 05:10, Yann Golanski wrote:
> > > I have an ATI Radeon X1950 Sapphire and I am trying to get X/FreeBSD
> > > working with it.  My system is a clean install of FreBSD.   I've managed to
> > > get VESA to "work" but cannot get much more than that.
> >
> > There is no open source support for this card (alas). It's VESA or fglrx.

Since AMD/ATI doesn't make a native driver for FreeBSD, I only buy
notebooks with nvidia, and I told my friends about this.
We as FreeBSD users could write about this in our blogs and pages,
which will widespread the word about the driver issues in better way,
as long as more users aware of this, this will force AMD/ATI to look
into the issue deeper, and work it out.

This would be better than emailing the AMD CEO IMHO.

--
Regards,

-Abdullah Ibn Hamad Al-Marri
Arab Portal