CPUTYPE for VIA EPIA M-Series Mini-ITX

cpghost cpghost at cordula.ws
Thu Mar 15 09:07:30 UTC 2007

On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 08:44:21PM -0500, Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:
> I have one of these
>
> CPU: VIA C3 Nehemiah (999.52-MHz 686-class CPU)
>   Origin = "CentaurHauls"  Id = 0x691  Stepping = 1
>   Features=0x380b035<FPU,DE,TSC,MSR,MTRR,PGE,CMOV,MMX,FXSR,SSE>
>
> http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/mainboards/motherboards.jsp?
> motherboard_id=81
>
> And 6.2-RELEASE p2
>
> When I set CPUTYPE=c3 in /etc/make.conf the world seemed to build
> just fine, but (at least) gcc ended up broken.  Most compiling
> attempts after that ended up with gcc reporting an internal error.
>
> Now that I've entered the FreeBSD world and am building everything
> from source, I would like to take advantage of that by compiling for
> my system.
>
> Does anyone have a similar system?  And what CPUTYPE or local tuning
> do you recommend?

I have

CPU: VIA C3 Samuel 2 (533.36-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin = "CentaurHauls"  Id = 0x673  Stepping = 3
  Features=0x803035<FPU,DE,TSC,MSR,MTRR,PGE,MMX>
real memory  = 528416768 (503 MB)

running FreeBSD 6.2 without problems. The key here is NOT to set
CPUTYPE in /etc/make.conf. Just use the defaults and you're fine.

> A dmesg for the system is available at
>
>   http://ntp0.goldmark.org/temp/dmesg
>
> Cheers,
>
> -j