Problems with SSH and Realtek driver

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Wed Mar 14 18:54:37 UTC 2007

"Alexander Schlichting" <alex at cshw.net> writes:

> I had a problem with the sshd disconnecting incoming connections after a few
> seconds of inactivity. I tried a lot and found no solution for this so I
> ended up with trying the latest driver from here :
> http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1
> <http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFi
> d=4&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false&Downloads=true>
> &PNid=13&PFid=4&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false&Downloads=true
> and since the driver is from mid November last year I did not expect it to
> be any better. I actually expected FreeBSD to have that driver with the
> kernel but it seems like it's not. After installing this driver all my
> problems are gone. The problem is I have to install 4 servers with the same
> Realtek NIC. What would be the best way to do this and to compile the driver
> static with the kernel. I would like to avoid loading it as a module for
> every server. Does a snapshot release maybe have the latest Realtek driver ?

That depends a bit on exactly which RealTek hardware you have.
However, the drivers have undergone continuous development, so your
results are likely to be better with more recent FreeBSD code.

An examination of the code with that version and the one it was based
on could tell you what the changes were that RealTek made.  Then you
could see if those changes have made it into the latest version.

Good luck.