Don't buy AMD products (was Re: Xorg and ATI card query.)

Vince jhary at unsane.co.uk
Wed Mar 14 16:38:35 UTC 2007

Sean Bryant wrote:
> Andrew Reilly wrote:
>> On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 14:17:00 -0800 (PST)
>> Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko at ambrisko.com> wrote:
>>
>>> One thing that is a plus with nv is that X has some support for it,
>>> whereas, the newer ati cards have no support :-(  I was a fan of ati
>>> since it was easier to get support.  Now I'm starting to lean towards
>>> Nvidia :-(
>>>

>> Does anyone know if there are *any* contemporary graphics cards
>> that have 3D acceleration supported by some flavour of
>> open-source x.org?  Doesn't have to be a super-fast 'leet gamer
>> system to be better than a non-accelerated frame buffer.

I never thought I'd actually recommend it but....
The Intel 82945GM  controller in my laptop has semi ok 3d acceleration.
I'm running the experimental xorg 7.2.r3 server with beryl and its
running quite nicely. output of glinfo below if anyones interested.

The performance doesnt compare to the nvidia drivers on my desktop at
home but it does its job, wouldnt want to game on it though.

glxgears output:
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x5b
3235 frames in 5.0 seconds = 646.998 FPS
3610 frames in 5.0 seconds = 721.937 FPS
3525 frames in 5.0 seconds = 704.861 FPS
------------------------------
glinfo output:
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x5b
GL_VERSION: 1.3 Mesa 6.5.2
GL_EXTENSIONS: GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_fragment_program
GL_ARB_imaging GL_AR
                          B_multisample GL_ARB_multitexture
GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_t
                                                    exture_border_clamp
GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_te

xture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar
GL_ARB_text
                 ure_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat
GL_ARB_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_tran
                                          spose_matrix
GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_window_pos

  GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_blend_color
GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate GL_EX
                                          T_blend_func_separate
GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_clip_volu
                                                                me_hint
GL_EXT_cull_vertex GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array GL_EXT_convolution GL_EX

     T_copy_texture GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_fog_coord
GL_EXT_histogram GL_E
                           XT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_packed_pixels
GL_EXT_point_parameters GL_EXT_polygon
                                            _offset
GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_separate_specular_co

     lor GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_subtexture
GL_EXT_texture GL_
                        EXT_texture3D GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp
GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_texture_en
                                              v_combine
GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3 GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_textu

    re_lod_bias GL_EXT_texture_object GL_EXT_texture_rectangle
GL_EXT_vertex_array G
                           L_3DFX_texture_compression_FXT1
GL_APPLE_client_storage GL_APPLE_packed_pixels G

L_ATI_blend_equation_separate GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip
GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repe
                                  at GL_INGR_blend_func_separate
GL_MESA_pack_invert GL_MESA_ycbcr_texture GL_MESA
                                                       _window_pos
GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_light_max_exponent GL_NV_texture_rectangle

  GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_NV_vertex_program GL_NV_vertex_program1_1
GL_OES_read
                 _format GL_SGI_color_matrix GL_SGI_color_table
GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_SGIS_t
                                       exture_border_clamp
GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp GL_SGIS_texture_lod GL_SGIX_depth

_texture GL_SUN_multi_draw_arrays
GL_RENDERER: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 945GM 20061017 x86/MMX/SSE2
GL_VENDOR: Tungsten Graphics, Inc
GLU_VERSION: 1.3
GLU_EXTENSIONS: GLU_EXT_nurbs_tessellator GLU_EXT_object_space_tess
GLUT_API_VERSION: 5
GLUT_XLIB_IMPLEMENTATION: 15

--------

Vince