Don't buy AMD products (was Re: Xorg and ATI card query.)

Sean Bryant sean at cyberwang.net
Wed Mar 14 15:55:22 UTC 2007

Andrew Reilly wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 14:17:00 -0800 (PST)
> Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko at ambrisko.com> wrote:
>
>> One thing that is a plus with nv is that X has some support for it,
>> whereas, the newer ati cards have no support :-(  I was a fan of ati
>> since it was easier to get support.  Now I'm starting to lean towards
>> Nvidia :-(
>>

> Does anyone know if there are *any* contemporary graphics cards
> that have 3D acceleration supported by some flavour of
> open-source x.org?  Doesn't have to be a super-fast 'leet gamer
> system to be better than a non-accelerated frame buffer.
>
> Matrox used to have a reputation for goodness (I used to have a
> G400 or the like), but it's been a long time...
>
> (I'm currently using a lowish-end NVidia card under the x.org nv
> driver, but it has issues (of which no 3D accel is but one...)
>
> Cheers,

Try the 'vesa' xorg driver. It may not be fancy or all that accelerated
but it works quite well. I have an nvidia card and cannot get it to work
for the life of me. the drive attached, but nothing happens after that.
It might be the fact that I have a PCI express card. But the vesa driver
is working just fine for me.