Tool for validating sender address as spam-fighting technique?

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Wed Mar 14 02:11:45 UTC 2007

On Mar 13, 2007, at 6:00 PM, Christopher Sean Hilton wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 12:00 -0400, Marcelo Maraboli wrote:
>

>> I agree..... callbacks are not enough, you can reach a
>> false conclusion, that´s why I use SPF along with callbacks...
>>
>> on the same message, my MX concludes:
>>
>> "you are sending email "from chad at shire.net", but shire.net
>> says YOUR IP address is not allowed to send email on behalf
>> of that domain, therefore YOU ARE FAKE/FORGED" ..---> reject
>>
>> regards,
>>

> I'm not sure what you mean by callbacks but if that involves
> talking to
> mx.example.com and trying to figure out if
> cmdr.sinclair at example.com is
> a valid address go ahead. I would consider a mailserver that answers
> that question a security risk as it is freely giving away information
> about your domain without notifying you. For a long time my mx servers
> would answer any such question in the affirmative regardless of
> whether
> or not the mail account existed.

Address verification callbacks take various forms, but the way exim
does it by default is to attempt to start a DSN delivery to the
address and if the RCPT TO is accepted it is affirmative.  It is not
usually use VRFY.  Most address verification is done by attempting to
start some sort of delivery to the address.

> As the above poster says SPF is the way to go. SPF gives the receiving
> MTA a mechanism to vet inbound mail. For any combination of <mail
> server> and <from address/from domain> there are three possible
> results
> from an SPF check: The server is allowed to send mail for the domain;
> The server is not allowed to send mail for the domain; And I cannot
> tell
> because the owner of the domain hasn't published an SPF record. The
> only
> problem with SPF is that it's not more widely implemented so the third
> response is sadly more common than the first two.

I believe it also breaks when you have forwards.

Chad

---
Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC
Your Web App and Email hosting provider