No matter what I try I can't get Nvidia 3d acceleration to work. Please help!

hxc at planet.nl hxc at planet.nl
Mon Mar 12 19:33:51 UTC 2007

Tore Lund wrote:

> I believe it's enough to put this line into /boot/device.hints:
>
>     hint.agp.0.disabled="1"
>

>> Is this really true? Who can confirm this? I also wonder why glxgears in
>> FreeBSD gives me 5000 fps, while in Linux gives me 13000.  To get 5000
>> fps in Linux I need to disable 3d support :-\ .
>>

> Have you installed the port or package "nvidia-driver" (or one of its
> siblings)?  The documentation that comes with it will probably tell you
> what you need to know.
>
> On my own machine I have NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86-1.0-9631, and I get this:
>
> %sysctl hw.nvidia.agp.status
> hw.nvidia.agp.status.status: enabled
> hw.nvidia.agp.status.driver: nvidia
> hw.nvidia.agp.status.rate: 4x
> hw.nvidia.agp.status.fw: disabled
> hw.nvidia.agp.status.sba: disabled

I have installed the port nvidia-driver. I have followed all the step in
the readme (including adding the  line to  /boot/device.hint see below).
I wonder though is nvidia 3d acceleration supported under FreeBSD? From
the readme:
/
The NVIDIA Accelerated FreeBSD Driver Set brings accelerated 2D
functionality
and high-performance OpenGL support to FreeBSD x86 with the use of NVIDIA
graphics processing units (GPUs).

These drivers provide optimized hardware acceleration for OpenGL and X
applications and support nearly all recent NVIDIA graphics chips (please see
Appendix A for a complete list of supported chips). TwinView, TV-Out and
flat
panel displays are also supported.
/
P.S.