No matter what I try I can't get Nvidia 3d acceleration to work. Please help!

Tore Lund toreld at netscape.net
Mon Mar 12 15:21:23 UTC 2007

hxc at planet.nl wrote:
> Martin Tournoij wrote:
>> hw.nvidia.agp.status.status: disabled means that the nvidia AGP
>> driver isn't working, not that 3d acceleration isn't working.
>>
>> If you want to use the nvidia agp driver, then you should compile a
>> kernel without device agp.
>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig.html

I believe it's enough to put this line into /boot/device.hints:

    hint.agp.0.disabled="1"

> Is this really true? Who can confirm this? I also wonder why glxgears in
> FreeBSD gives me 5000 fps, while in Linux gives me 13000.  To get 5000
> fps in Linux I need to disable 3d support :-\ .

Have you installed the port or package "nvidia-driver" (or one of its
siblings)?  The documentation that comes with it will probably tell you
what you need to know.

On my own machine I have NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86-1.0-9631, and I get this:

%sysctl hw.nvidia.agp.status
hw.nvidia.agp.status.status: enabled
hw.nvidia.agp.status.driver: nvidia
hw.nvidia.agp.status.rate: 4x