How to reinstall gcc

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Mon Mar 12 17:02:05 UTC 2007

I seem to have broken gcc on my 6.2-RELEASE p2 system.  I apparently
did this by adding

CPUTYPE?=c3

to /etc/make.conf and then a make buildworld and make install world.

Everything seems to be working fine (though I haven't tested
throughly), but now  gcc is definitely broken.  Most compile attempts
end with something like

  internal compiler error: Illegal instruction: 4

I have been able to successfully compile hello.c, but a buildworld
fails as described above as does the things I've tested in ports
(pcre, curl, ispell).

My question is without a functioning gcc, how do a install a
functioning gcc?

-j