polling my FreeBSD compariots...

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Mon Mar 12 13:39:37 UTC 2007

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 14:17:38 +0100 (CET)
Wojciech Puchar <wojtek at tensor.gdynia.pl> wrote:

> > Check out this URL for starters:
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11.html
>
> A "desktop environment" can mean anything ranging from a simple
> window manager to a complete suite of desktop applications, such as
> KDE or GNOME.
>

> "can mean" is very far from definition.
>
> further reading shows that desktop is "where data and applications
> can be placed".
>
> i always though that data and application are on disk.
>
> still no definition of desktop, but looks like desktop=ability to
> display icon symbols of files and programs (which are files too) and
> ability to provide "panel" for starting programs and doing some other
> maintenance.
>

> do i say right?

Every time I reply to one of your posts, you reply directly back to me.
That is incorrect. You should be directing your reply back to the
FreeBSD mail forum. Others might be in a position to assist you if they
viewed your post.

--
Gerard

          /)               ,-^     ^-.