Changing command-line resolution

Frank Staals frankstaals at gmx.net
Fri Mar 9 18:14:19 UTC 2007

John Nielsen wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 March 2007 21:48, frzburn wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>> I was wondering if there is a way to change the command-line
<snip>
>> FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE amd64.
>>

> Build and install a kernel with options VESA and SC_PIXEL_MODE. Reboot.
> Run "vidcontrol -i mode". Pick one you like and make a note of its number.
> Then do something similar to "vidcontrol -f 8x14 cp437-8x14.fnt MODE_NNN",
> replacing NNN with the mode you noted previously and 8x14 with one of 8x8,
> 8x14 or 8x16. The font file should match the font size and codepage you
> want your terminal to be in. Repeat until you find the settings you want,
> then add a line like this to /etc/rc.conf:
> 	allscreens_flags="-f 8x14 cp437-8x14.fnt MODE_NNN"
> using the same substitutions.
>
> See also man vidcontrol, man sc, and the FreeBSD handbook.
>
> JN

If I'm correct that's not going to work since VESA module doesn't work
on an amd64 system, or at least that's what I thought I read some time
ago. Not sure what your goal is with your machine but if it's not meant
as a server you can always install Xorg with some lightweight WM.

Good luck,

--
-Frank Staals