FreeBSD Torrent Server

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Thu Mar 8 09:43:13 UTC 2007

cpghost wrote:
 > On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 05:20:50PM +0100, Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > That's pure speculation (and quite paranoid).  The daemon
 > > image is still visible on many FreeBSD.org web pages.
 > > In fact, no less pages than before the contest, and there
 > > is no indication that it might change.
 >
 > However, you've dropped it in favor of the "sextoy" on the
 > FreeBSD 6.2 DVD case cover (Lehmanns/GUUG, Jan. 2007).

That was the decision of the designers at the marketing
department of Lehmanns (I'm only responsible for the text
on the back of the box, not for the overall design).
Those people have near zero technical nor historical
knowledge about FreeBSD.

 > Sure, it's not an
 > "official" DVD, but it does appear in bookstores and is often
 > the first encounter by newbies to FreeBSD :-(.

I wish it was.  :-(

In fact, the past issues of the Lehmanns edition of FreeBSD
(including the ones where there still was a large Beastie
on the front of the box) had rapidly decreasing sales
numbers.  It's probably because many people now have fast
internet access (cable, DSL, whatever) and prefer to down-
load the ISOs and packages instead of buying a DVD-ROM.

We were lucky that the GUUG agreed to sponsor the 6.2
issue, otherwise Lehmanns would have been forced to stop its
support of FreeBSD, and the DVD for 6.2-Release would not
exist today.  I have no idea what will happen with 6.3 ...
If nobody buys 6.2, then it's probably the last one.

Best regards
   Oliver

PS:  For people who don't know at all what we're talking
about, here's a link:

http://www.lob.de/cgi-bin/out?isbn=3865411886

The page text is in German, I'm afraid, but at least you
can see the picture of the DVD box (front side only,
though).

"Documentation is like sex; when it's good, it's very, very good,
and when it's bad, it's better than nothing."
        -- Dick Brandon