Sun, Java stuff...

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Tue Mar 6 05:59:23 UTC 2007

On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 10:52:21PM -0600, Dan Nelson wrote:
> In the last episode (Mar 05), Gary Kline said:
> > Unless I was dreaming, I seem to recall that Sun Micro was dropping
> > its claims to things-Java a few weeks ago.  If true, why it it still
> > so difficult to find the ports/packages/binaries for the Java suites
> > we've got?  I had to google around to find the tzupdate zip file;
> > what was in the diablojdk15 port didn't jibe with reality.  wget
> > failed, &c.
>
> You were probably dreaming about Sun "dropping its claims" to Java;
> there's no reason they would do that.  They did announce in November
> that they "will release all unencumbered source-code modules of JDK 6
> and JDK 7, along with full build scripts; a few encumbered modules will
> be released as binary plugins."

	Okay, I should said that I understood that Java was going to be
	made "more open."  I'd like to see things-Java wipe out the flash
	and shockwave plugins.

> ( http://www.sun.com/software/opensource/java/project_overview.jsp )
>
> " Q: When will you finish open sourcing the JDK? What is the timeline?
>   A: We expect to release a fully buildable JDK based almost completely
>      on open-sourced code in the first half of 2007. "
>
> ( http://www.sun.com/software/opensource/java/faq.jsp )

	Thanks for the URL; I'll check it out. Four months to go.

> As far at the timezone updates in the Diablo port, I had no problems
> downloading the tzupdater-1_0_1.zip file with /usr/bin/fetch.

	It wasn't on the ftp site listed in the port; I finally found the
	latest zip on my Sun acct.  --At least it'll be useful on all
	four of my sites.

  Gary Kline  kline at thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix