Problems with arabic in Docbook

Rico Secada coolzone at io.dk
Tue Mar 6 05:45:14 UTC 2007

Hi

I am currently working on a docbook project using FreeBSD and I need to incorporate some arabic words.

When I convert using xmlto into a xhtml document the words show up together with the other languages perfectly, but when I convert into PDF using xsltproc, the arabic letters gets converted into hashes ###.

To convert the document into PDF I do the following:

xsltproc --output foo.fo --stringparam section.autolabel 1 --stringparam section.label.includes.component.label 1 --stringparam generate.toc "book toc" --stringparam fop.extensions 1 /usr/local/share/xsl/docbook/fo/docbook.xsl foo.xml

Afterwards I do:

fop foo.fo foo.pdf

xmlto isn't working with PDF on FreeBSD and I get this error:
/usr/local/share/xmlto/format/docbook/../fo/pdf: Can't open /usr/local/share/xmlto/format/docbook/../fo/pdf: No such file or directory

Any sugestions?

Best regards,
Rico