INTERFACING WITH NTFS

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Mon Mar 5 21:10:27 UTC 2007

On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 01:04:06PM -0800, Parker Brown wrote:

> Using the FreeBSD booter to manage both Windoz XP and FreeBSD 6.1 on the
> same SCSI drive.  Under FreeBSD I've got XP mounted, and I've been able to
> examine the XP directories, but when I try to copy data or the contents of
> directories from FreeBSD to XP (using    cp -R  ), nothing copies, and I
> get error messages that say the TARGET files don't exist.
>
> Is FreeBSD not capable of copying into NTFS?  Has anyone else had the same
> problem?

This was just discussed on the list late last week.
Yes, FreeBSD can read, but (for the most part) does not write
to NTFS at this point in time.   There are a couple of ports that
claim to write to NTFS.  I haven't tried them.

When I dual boot with MS-NTFS, I actually squeeze the NTFS slice down
just a little further and make a couple or so GB slice in FAT32 that
I can read and write from both FreeBSD and Microsloth.   That means I
am using up 3 rather than 2 slices when dual booting that combination;
NTFS, FAT32, FreeBSD.

I don't know if work is being done to make standard FreeBSD write NTFS.
Search the recent questions archive for the recent exchanges.

////jerry