GVinum issues

Steve Bertrand iaccounts at ibctech.ca
Sat Mar 3 15:46:27 UTC 2007

Hi all,

Although I've poured over documentation for over an hour this morning,
I'm certain I'm missing something very minute here.

I've got a:

backup# uname -a
FreeBSD backup 6.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE #2: Thu May 25 14:44:22
EDT 2006

internal backup server running a gvinum span:

drive d0 device /dev/da0
drive d1 device /dev/da1
drive d2 device /dev/da2
drive d3 device /dev/da3
drive d4 device /dev/da4
drive d5 device /dev/da5
drive d6 device /dev/da6

volume span
  plex org concat
    sd length 0 drive d0
    sd length 0 drive d1
    sd length 0 drive d2
    sd length 0 drive d3
    sd length 0 drive d4
    sd length 0 drive d5
    sd length 0 drive d6

... which has been working fine since inception. However, when I do a:

# gvinum list

...it tells me:

backup# gvinum list
0 drives:
0 volumes:
0 plexes:
0 subdisks:

...and it mounts via fstab as:

/dev/stripe/backup    397G    148G    217G    41%    /backup

For the life of me, I can not figure out why a 'list' won't return the
appropriate information. I want to upgrade this box, and just want to
have the documentation on the RAID setup.

TIA for any guidance on what I am doing wrong.

Steve