Apache Rotate Logs and Log Rotate.

David Robillard david.robillard at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 13:26:40 UTC 2007

On 3/3/07, Peter Pluta <peter at placidpublishing.net> wrote:
> I see, thanks. Does the shell script you use automatically delete the
> original logs after verbalizer or awstats makes it's own? I imagine the
> ones those programs use are smaller in size?

No, the shell script does not delete any logs. Log rotation and
compression is the job of newsyslog.
Webalizer creates and maintains his own files which grow slowly over
time. How fast they grow depends on how busy your site is and how much
data you need to extract from the logs. Try it on one VirtualHost and
you'll see. If you like it, then extend your configuration to your
other VirtualHosts.

Talking about logs, you might want to send them to syslog. Here's a
quick article on this topic:
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/sysadmin/2006/10/12/httpd-syslog.html

Cheers,

David