Booting from a large RAID

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Tue Jun 26 09:59:53 UTC 2007

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 00:39:52 +0100
"Dominic Bishop" <dom at bishnet.net> wrote:

> At this point I'm assuming my only option is a separate small HD for the OS
> which can be partitioned using bsdlabel. Ideally I would rather not do this
> however as the server cases only have 16 drive bays so I'll have to
> sacrifice some capacity from the RAID in order to achieve this.

Maybe you can make a USB bootable thumbdrive, if your bios supports booting from USB devices... you can find them in the low GB sizes now, which should be enough for the OS to bootup.

Alternatively, one of the IDE Flash cards (attached to the server's IDE channel) - it may be a cluttered inside the server , but they are actually the size of a USB thumbdrive. for example, http://www.pqimemory.com/products-Domindustrial.asp

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"That's what I love about GUIs: They make simple tasks easier,
and complex tasks impossible."
   John William Chambless