Starting again from Scratch

Manolis Kiagias sonicy at otenet.gr
Mon Jun 25 17:42:02 UTC 2007

Graham Bentley wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 19:16:59 +0200
> Roland Smith <rsmith at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 05:51:44PM +0100, Graham Bentley wrote:
>>
>>> So, if I where to start again, I would ;
>>>
>>> 1) Install 'minimal' distrib from 6.2 rel CD1
>>> 2) portsnap fetch extract
>>> 3) make install my system
>>>
>> The base system and ports are separate. The base system is built from
>> /usr/src, while ports are built under /usr/ports.
>>
>> Concerning ports, I would install them from an _updated_ ports tree if
>> your system isn't too slow. Start with what you really need, and add
>> things if you miss them. If you build a high-level port like
>> e.g. firefox, it will built the stuff it requires automatically. But I
>> would start with building the xorg meta-port, to get X sorted first.
>>
>> Currently I have 427 ports installed om my desktop system, ≌ 100 of
>> which are part of the new modular xorg.
>>

>>> Then in future use portmaster as you say ?
>>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> Roland
>>

> Cheers Roland,
>
> Is it considered OK to update the ports and build up your worktop
> *without* bothering with building world? Also, building a kernel
> but leaving world at release?
>
> My system is an Athalon2.4/1GB/NV5200 so seems quick enough and
> I am not in that much of a hurry. However, I dont want to spend
> hours and hours waiting for compiles...
>
> Can you clue me up on xorg 'meta-port' ???
>
> I can feel a re-install coming on ....

It is ok to update ports and use them without ever rebuilding world or
the kernel (or upgrade system sources).
You may also build the kernel as many times as you wish from the release
sources and not build the world. The world is already built on release
sources anyway. If you do update the system sources however, you will
have to build world along with the kernel the first time. Any subsequent
kernel rebuilds from the same sources will not require a world rebuilt.
Generally rebuilding the world and kernel is a very good way to move
from one release to the next without reinstalling everything from scratch.

One important thing, when building ports or upgrading, always read the
file /usr/ports/UPDATING. It contains valuable info on how you should
proceed on specific ports. The procedure for the xorg upgrade is
described in there as well and you should follow it (even if you are
clean installing xorg). Your system is fine performance wise, still it
will take quite some time (hours and hours...) to compile / install xorg
and a desktop environment.