Starting again from Scratch

Graham Bentley admin at cpcnw.co.uk
Mon Jun 25 17:27:16 UTC 2007

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 19:16:59 +0200
Roland Smith <rsmith at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 05:51:44PM +0100, Graham Bentley wrote:
> >
> > So, if I where to start again, I would ;
> >
> > 1) Install 'minimal' distrib from 6.2 rel CD1
> > 2) portsnap fetch extract
> > 3) make install my system
>
> The base system and ports are separate. The base system is built from
> /usr/src, while ports are built under /usr/ports.
>
> Concerning ports, I would install them from an _updated_ ports tree if
> your system isn't too slow. Start with what you really need, and add
> things if you miss them. If you build a high-level port like
> e.g. firefox, it will built the stuff it requires automatically. But I
> would start with building the xorg meta-port, to get X sorted first.
>
> Currently I have 427 ports installed om my desktop system, ≌ 100 of
> which are part of the new modular xorg.
>
> > Then in future use portmaster as you say ?
> Yes.
>
> Roland

Cheers Roland,

Is it considered OK to update the ports and build up your worktop
*without* bothering with building world? Also, building a kernel
but leaving world at release?

My system is an Athalon2.4/1GB/NV5200 so seems quick enough and
I am not in that much of a hurry. However, I dont want to spend
hours and hours waiting for compiles...

Can you clue me up on xorg 'meta-port' ???

I can feel a re-install coming on ....