To install xorg meta port in preparation for xorg upgrade

Andrew Falanga af300wsm at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 15:22:54 UTC 2007

On 6/21/07, Jonathan Horne <freebsd at dfwlp.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 21 June 2007 09:32:31 Andrew Falanga wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > How can one install the xorg meta port for version 6.9 before
> > beginning the upgrade to 7.2?  I have already updated my ports tree,
> > and I don't think I do one of these numbers any longer:
> >
> > cd /usr/ports/x11/xorg && make install clean
> >
> > I then thought about downloading the 6.9 xorg package, but all I found
> > on the freebsd  ftp servers was a package for 7.2.  I see in the
> > UPDATING file for ports that if one doesn't have the meta port
> > installed, they will missout on several sub ports for xorg 7.2.
> >
> > Andy
>
> i think the easiest way will be to set the variable PACKAGESITE to
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6.2-release/All/
>
> (or that of your other favorite mirror)
>
> for bash-like shells,
> export
> PACKAGESITE=ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6.2-release/All/
>
> or csh-like shells,
> setenv PACKAGESITE
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6.2-release/All/
>
> then 'pkg_add -r xorg' and it should grab it.  if not, try naming it by full
> package name, 'pkg_add -r xorg-6.9.0'.
>
> good luck,

Thanks for the instructions.  This would have been easier than the
method I was working to use.  I managed to find xorg-6.9.0 under the
directory you mention above ".../ports/i386/packages-6.2-release/..."
and downloaded it.  But, when I did the package add, it wouldn't go
for me because the package dri was missing.  Well, I probably
overlooked it somehow, but I couldn't find the "dri" package on the
ftp server.  Thankfully, a thought dawned on me that perhaps these
packages would exist in the cd's I burned of 6.2-RELEASE.  I was able
to find both packages on that CD (disk 1) and although there was a
slight warning when I did the pkg_add for the dri package (some other
package it requires was of a higher version than it was looking for),
all installed ok and I'm now working through the install to xorg 7.2.

Thanks again,
Andy