To install xorg meta port in preparation for xorg upgrade

Jonathan Horne freebsd at dfwlp.com
Thu Jun 21 15:06:08 UTC 2007

On Thursday 21 June 2007 09:32:31 Andrew Falanga wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How can one install the xorg meta port for version 6.9 before
> beginning the upgrade to 7.2?  I have already updated my ports tree,
> and I don't think I do one of these numbers any longer:
>
> cd /usr/ports/x11/xorg && make install clean
>
> I then thought about downloading the 6.9 xorg package, but all I found
> on the freebsd  ftp servers was a package for 7.2.  I see in the
> UPDATING file for ports that if one doesn't have the meta port
> installed, they will missout on several sub ports for xorg 7.2.
>
> Andy

i think the easiest way will be to set the variable PACKAGESITE to
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6.2-release/All/

(or that of your other favorite mirror)

for bash-like shells,
export
PACKAGESITE=ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6.2-release/All/

or csh-like shells,
setenv PACKAGESITE
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6.2-release/All/

then 'pkg_add -r xorg' and it should grab it.  if not, try naming it by full
package name, 'pkg_add -r xorg-6.9.0'.

good luck,
--
Jonathan Horne