Apparent IP configuration change . . .

Steve Bertrand iaccounts at ibctech.ca
Tue Jun 19 12:42:40 UTC 2007

Frank Steinborn wrote:
> John Williams wrote:
>> FreeBSD users:
>>
>> Until recently I've been running a very low-maintenance FreeBSD router
>> with FBSD 6.2.
>>
>> The IP setup was a dynamic IP configuration with Verizon as my DSL
>> provider in NJ. The connection was virtually trouble-free.
>>
>> I switched to a static IP about 10 days ago and the IP configuration no
>> longer works.
>
> [ ... ]
>
>> Here's what worked for the dynamic IP connection:
>>
>> verizon:
>>   set device PPPoE:rl0
>>   set authname xxx
>>   set authkey xxx
>>   add default HISADDR
>>
>> Here's what I've set up for the static IP connection:
>>
>> verizon:
>>   set device PPPoE:rl0
>>   set authname xxx
>>   set authkey xxx
>>   add default HISADDR
>>   set ifaddr 70.0.0.54 70.0.0.1 255.255.255.255 0.0.0.0
>
> You are suggesting the peer that your IP should be 0.0.0.0, but you
> will only accept 70.0.0.54. Moreover, you only accept peer as
> 70.0.0.1. Are you sure that this is what you want? ppp(8) gives a
> wonderful overview of 'set ifaddr'.
>
> It's kind of hard to help without further information, it would be
> really nice to know the data you got from the provider about the
> static IP setup.
>
> Just a naive shoot in blue: Did you try without setting 'set ifaddr'
> at all? Probably your peer will negotiate the right setting with your
> ppp-client anyway.

I agree with this statement. Any ISP I have dealt with, including the
one I work at, a 'static' PPP IP address is actually configured within
the RADIUS authentication server, is directly associated with your
username and is not usually configured on the client premises equipment
as a 'standard' static IP address.

When your PPP client logs in using the supplied user/pass, the
Framed-IP-Address is sent back to you in response to your successful
login attempt.

Steve