Upgrading to 6.2-RELEASE from 6.2-STABLE

Spiros Papadopoulos spap13 at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 13 03:20:24 UTC 2007

Hi Mark,

Some months ago i tried to upgrade my source from 5.2 to 6.1.
I did "something" wrong and It took me 2 to 4 weeks to stabilize my system
and to be honest
i tried so many things that i am not sure what I did exactly and brought it
back to normal.
I remember re-building and re-installing the kernel and suddenly everything
was working properly. I believe that in your case the
problem was caused while using
mergemaster... In general it is not recommended to update to a major version
like this
and the procedure is slightly different than when upgrading from a minor
version.

After what i read and since this is a production machine, i
believe it is better that
you take a (manual...?) back up of the configuration files (even copy &
paste them on paper -
 if you cannot boot, mount the drive with a CD) and re-install 6.2clean.... :(
You have to take the decision whether this will save you time or not, since
after all these it
gets confusing, you cannot really remember what you were doing (4 days ago)
and you may cause even
more problems or waste time if you continue..
It is even more difficult for us to understand what went wrong in your
case...

Ideally you could use a different machine (or hdd - temporarily) to do this
and then
if you want sit down quietly and play with the current one.

Kind Regards

On 12/06/07, Mark Stout <mark_stout04 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I couldn't load da0s1a even though /dev/da0s1a is my root drive.  Manually
> load my old kernel from the prompt worked.
>
> I believe the mountroot is during the boot load.  I'm not anywhere near
> being able to do anything.
>
> I have no idea what the problem is.
>
> [jackbarnett at gmail.com] wrote:
>
> no idea, but maybe:
>     boot /boot/kernel/kernel
> or
>     boot /boot/kernel.old/kernel
>
> What is 'mountroot' - is that the boot loader or the kernel/system
> giving you that?
>
> try mounting your root drive!
>
> do a `df -k`, anything already mounted?
>
> oh!  or try:
>     fsck
>
> did it ask you to login?
>

> Mark Stout wrote:
> > I followed all the steps in the handbook as well as UPDATED and after a
> installworld and mergemaster its booting into 'mountroot>' and nothing I
> type mounts.  This is a production machine so I'm in dire need of
> assistence.
> >
> >  [illoai at gmail.com] wrote:

> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html I
> removed the
> kernel its failing on
> MD5,  options LKM.
> can't find anything
> >>>
> >> A follow-up to my last email.  I copied GENERIC to RADIUS2 and
> >> symlinked to /root/kernel.  Then added the various LINT options.
> >>
> >> I started commenting out what is failing when I try to compile a new
> >> kernel.  All are from the LINT file.  Is MD5 a default that does not
> >> need to be specifically added?  What about ICMP_BANDLIM?  And
> >> support for IDE drives. Are these already handed elsewhere in GENERIC?
> >>
> >> # These all failed as unknown options:
> >> unknown option "MD5"
> >> unknown option "LKM"
> >> unknown option "CD9660_ROOTDELAY"
> >> unknown option "NSWAPDEV"
> >> unknown option "TCP_COMPAT_42"
> >> unknown option "ICMP_BANDLIM"  (found in Handbook in Chapter 14
> Securing FreeBSD)
> >>

> >> # Do not understand why these are fialing
> >> config: Error: device "acd0" is unknown
> >> config: Error: device "wfd0" is unknown
> >> config: Error: device "wst0" is unknown
> >>
> >> # This failed as a syntax error
> >> controller      wdc0    at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14
> >>

> > Most of the above looks like old, deprecated
> > stuff from 5.x and earlier (the "controller wdc0"
> > line reminds me of 3.x or maybe NetBSD).
> >
> > IDE drive support is all handled by ata(4), all
> > you should need for those in your kernel config
> > is:
> > device          ata
> > device          atadisk
> > device          atapicd
> > (and obviously:)
> > device eisa
> > device pci
> > Which are already part of GENERIC.
> >
> > /usr/src/sys/<arch>/conf/LINT doesn't exist in 6.x.
> > Try looking at /usr/src/sys/<arch>/conf/NOTES
> > and /usr/src/sys/conf/NOTES for knobs to twist
> [...]

Spiros P.