6.2/i386 X/DRI issues

Reid Linnemann lreid at cs.okstate.edu
Mon Jun 4 13:35:09 UTC 2007

Written by Norberto Meijome on 06/03/07 20:43>>
> On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 15:11:26 +1000
> Alex R <freebsd at schlossadler.net> wrote:
>
>>> it's in the archives of the list - you need to install the mesa-demos
>>> port.
>> Installed it.
>>
>> [alex at desktop ~]$ glxinfo
>> Error: unable to open display
>>
>> But thats because I am ssh'd into the box from work, I dare say it will work when I get home and test from within X.
>
> ( X forwarding over ssh to your local display ..? I am just not sure whether glxinfo calculations would be based on your remote display or your local one....)

glxinfo over X-forward will report on the display the client is drawing
on - X clients are not aware of any other displays unless explicitly
instructed (e.g. glxinfo -display localhost:0), and even then you'll
have to fight xauth.

Incidentally, you can never do direct rendering over remote X connection
because the client (which is executed on a remote system) does not have
direct access to the memory of the display.