TMPFS, is it available on FreeBSD 6 or 7?

Sten Daniel Soersdal netslists at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 18:42:16 UTC 2007

Is TMPFS available on FreeBSD 6 or 7?
Or do i have to settle for mfs?

[venting frustration]
The reason i ask is i need something very flexible when it comes to
memory usage as a poor-mans shared-memory feature for a closed source
data conversion app, used only occasionally but with *alot* of data
passing through. By alot i mean it took our quad core xeon 3 ghz with 4
gbyte memory and 4 SAS drives in 1+0 RAID, about a day and a half to
process (on disk).
Simple tests (by others) using netbsd on a single cpu 3 ghz and tmpfs,
it took roughly 70 minutes. Most of which was spent loading and
unloading the data over the network.
I'd really like that memory back after use for other things as this
server is also serving databases with files etc.

(PS. If anyone knows of some place in the world it is legally
permissible to shoot a programmer for incompetence/excessive-tmp-usage,
then please let me know, that's where are going on company vacation)
[/venting]

--
Sten Daniel Soersdal