updating multiple freebsd desktops

Bram Van Steenlandt bulkmail at diomedia.be
Tue Jul 31 13:31:03 UTC 2007

Hi list,

The company I work for is linux based, we work with our own app written
in wxPython.
I am having a lot of trouble finding a suitable desktop OS, I've just
went with redhat but I think I am having second thoughts about it .
Freebsd (wich we use for some servers) would be an option but:

I find it really difficult to keep freebsd up to date in a desktop
situation, recompiling things like gnome can take a lot of time.

So what I would really like is to make one machine the build/test
machine and keep this machine up to date with the ports and portmanager
or so.
Can I then set up some kind of repo with the packages from this machine
and run something like "yum upgrade" on every desktop we have ?
I know something like sharing (thus building it only once and installing
it on multiple pc's) /usr/ports could be done but it is still to much
work and I would like something that also works  over the internet.

Ideas anyone ?

kind regards