USB Mouse not Working

Chris Maness chris at chrismaness.com
Sat Jul 28 17:10:08 UTC 2007

> Chris Maness wrote:
>> Adam J Richardson wrote:

>>> I had this. I had to start some daemon before starting X... what was it
>>> now... devd? usbd? psmd? moused? Something like that, anyway. And I had to
>>> specify the "mouse port" IIRC. You know, something like "moused -p
>>> /dev/ums0".
>>>
>>> Adam J Richardson
>> I tried that, but I get nothing.  Should I expect to see garbage from #cat
>> /dev/sysmouse and then move the mouse around?  Can you do that in console
>> mode, and see if that gives you anything?
>>
>> Chris Maness
>
>   moused(1) with usbd(1). Don't forget to compile uhid, ums, and all other
> dependent drivers into the kernel, either statically or as modules (man ums,
> uhid will get you on your way here).
>
>   Try moused with auto detection, using /dev/ums0. If you don't see anything
> about a USB mouse being attached in dmesg, you don't have the right drivers
> compiled for your kernel. If you do, moused / usbd hasn't been setup yet.
>
>   cat /dev/sysmouse will yield you the info you seek in the end, but you
> should try /dev/ums0 first, because that will work regardless of whether or
> not moused is started.
>
> Good luck :),
> -Garrett

The mouse seems to get detected perfectly and this is the GENERIC kernel
build that has the modules.  The mouse gets detected and listed at boot
time.  However, I don't think I am getting data out of the mouse port.

I beleive in the past I have checked with

#cat /dev/ums0

and if things are working corectly, cat display binary garbage on the
screen when you wiggle the mouse.  Try this after killing moused (moused
makes ums0 unavailable).

Chris Maness