porteasy vs portupgrade

Maxim Khitrov mkhitrov at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 15:23:15 UTC 2007

On 7/26/07, Eric <heli at mikestammer.com> wrote:
> Miguel wrote:
> > Adam J Richardson escribió:
> >>
> >> Hi Miguel,
> >>
> >> I use portupgrade and portsnap, a combination which seems to work
> >> fine. The only thing that annoys me about portupgrade is that it's
> >> written in Ruby, and when it's time for an upgrade I always have to
> >> upgrade the Ruby compiler as well. Upgrading Ruby just takes forever
> >> on these old battered beige boxes.
> >>

> > you are absolutly right, portsnap + portupgrade,
> > thakns
>
> try portmaster as a replacement to portupgrade. No dependencies and it
> works great.

Do you simply use 'portmaster -a' to update everything? I've tried
using it a few times, but it never recompiled ports that depend on the
one being updated. I recall there was an option to do that, but you
had to specify each port manually for that to work. How do you get it
to update all out-of-date ports and recompile everything depending on
those ports?