Keyboard layout problem with xkeyboard-config-1.0

Jan Henrik Sylvester me at janh.de
Wed Jul 25 11:36:02 UTC 2007

After updating to xkeyboard-config-1.0 (from 0.9_3) yesterday and
booting for the first time after the update today, the KDE Keyboard Tool
tray icon displays "err" with tooltip "Error changing keyboard layout to
'us'" (or 'de(deadgraveacute)' depending on what I try). Indeed, the
keyboard layout does not change.

I now have a weird keyboard layout with 'y', 'z', and most symbols being
in place of the German keyboard layout, but the umlauts give some Greek
letters and 'sz' and all 'Alt Gr' combinations are dead. (I have
'keymap="german.iso"' in rc.conf.)

I did a 'portupgrade xkeyboard-config'. Do I have to do some forced
recursive recompile? I hesitate a bit, since it would involve synaptics,
xf86-input-*, xf86-video-*, xorg, xorg-drivers, and xorg-server.

Or is there anything else that might be wrong and easier to correct?

(All my ports are up to date with current portsnap snapshot.)

Thanks,
Jan Henrik