Making use of a Windows drive

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Sun Jul 15 19:16:12 UTC 2007

On Sun, Jul 15, 2007 at 08:57:52PM +0300, Razmig K wrote:
> On 7/15/07, Roland Smith <rsmith at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>> Do you need partitions (bsdlabels) on ad1s3? Or to put it another way,
>> do you want to subdevide it in pieces that you can mount on different
>> mount points?
>
> Well that certainly is a good idea.

I was just pointing out that it is not _necessary_, AFAIK.

> From what I understand, I can divide the slice into partitions, a
> through h, and that b, c, and d are special. Does this mean that I can
> safely use any combination of the rest as partitions and mount them

Well, 'c' is special in the sense that it is a raw partition
representing the whole disk. You shouldn't use that.

IIRC, 'b' is usually used for swap, and you can only boot from 'a'.

So if you're not interested in using the disk as swap space, or booting
from it, you can use any partition but 'c'.

Roland