Making a mounted ISO image of a CD-ROM writable

CyberLeo Kitsana cyberleo at cyberleo.net
Fri Jul 13 11:17:25 UTC 2007

Paul Hoffman wrote:
> At 10:53 PM +0200 7/12/07, Roland Smith wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 12:38:10PM -0700, Paul Hoffman wrote:
>>>  Greetings again. I want to make an ISO image of the FreeBSD
>>> distribution
>>>  with a boot.config file that contains "/boot/loader -h". I have the ISO
>>>  image as a file on my hard drive, and have mounted it on /mnt:
>>>
>>>  mdconfig -a -t vnode -f /path/to/my/bootable.iso -u 0
>>>  mount -w -t cd9660 /dev/md0 /mnt
>>>
>>>  However, when I try to create files on /mnt, I get:
>>>
>>>  -su: boot.config: Read-only file system
>>>
>>>  How do I make it so that I can write into /mnt so that I can then later
>>>  save those back to the ISO image?
>>
>> Try the sysutils/isomaster port.
>
> Er, thanks, but I am running on a text-only system. Looks nice, however.
>
> Other thoughts? I would hope this would be as easy as "run this program
> to change the image to read-write".

Due to the way iso9660 (cd) filesystems are arranged, they cannot be
written to after they are created. The easiest option would be to copy
all the files to a directory on your hard disk, make the required
changes, and use mkisofs to regenerate a new iso9660 filesystem.

This will likely require more than a cursory perusal of mkisofs(8),
given that you wish to create a bootable CD.

--
Fuzzy love,
-CyberLeo

Furry Peace! - http://wwww.fur.com/peace/