6.2-release-p5, Dell PE1435, custom kernel fails generic works

Philip M. Gollucci philip at riderway.com
Fri Jul 13 03:33:14 UTC 2007

Hi All,

I understand kernel compiles pretty well, but I guess I'm having a hard
time nailing down my hardware even though I "know" what it is.

It panics when trying to mount the root device.  Its something to do
with the scsi/raid kernel config.

I can't actually attach these since its too big so here are so links to
my relevant info.

kernel config
http://people.apache.org/~pgollucci/kernel/ELEKTRA

kernel config (most drivers)
http://people.apache.org/~pgollucci/kernel/ELEKTRA-TEST

generic config
http://people.apache.org/~pgollucci/kernel/GENERIC

dell parts list
http://people.apache.org/~pgollucci/kernel/dell

/var/log/messages (boot with verbose logging into generic)
http://people.apache.org/~pgollucci/kernel/messages

Thanks in advance.

GENERIC kernel:
$ uname -a
FreeBSD elektra 6.2-RELEASE-p5 FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p5 #0: Fri Jul 13
01:41:36 UTC 2007     root at elektra.rws:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

Philip M. Gollucci (philip at riderway.com) 323.219.4708
Senior System Admin - Riderway, Inc. http://riderway.com
1024D/EC88A0BF 0DE5 C55C 6BF3 B235 2DAB  B89E 1324 9B4F EC88 A0BF

Work like you don't need the money,
love like you'll never get hurt,
and dance like nobody's watching.