Installation woes with 6.2 release

Derek Ragona derek at computinginnovations.com
Mon Jul 9 23:16:48 UTC 2007

At 04:20 PM 7/9/2007, Kurt Buff wrote:
>On 7/9/07, Derek Ragona <derek at computinginnovations.com> wrote:
>>
>>  At 03:43 PM 7/9/2007, Kurt Buff wrote:
>>
>>I've got a machine with 2GB of RAM, onto which I can install Windows
>>  XP with no issues.
>>
>>  However, FreeBSD 6.2 Release is giving me fits on this machine. If any
>>  of you have insight, I'd surely appreciate you sharing
>>
>>  The motherboard is an Intel D645 GEBV2. I've tried a couple of
>>  different disk arrangements, with no success.
>>
>>  I've installed an IDE WD 180GB drive, which the motherboard BIOS
>>  detects just fine. When I boot from disk 1 for the FreeBSD install, it
>>  detects no hard drive.
>>
>>  I've put in an Addonics ADSA2 PCI SATA card, which sports the SiL
>>  1352A chipset, but the install blows up when installing to a 74GB
>>  Seagate drive - the kernel panics and it reboots while copying files
>>  to disk.
>>
>>  Has anyone run into these problems? Google hasn't been particularly my
>>  friend on this one.
>>
>>  I've tried reading the install docs on the CD, with no particular
>>  luck, but I could be missing something.
>>  Clearly you have a disk controller compatibility problem.  I do know the
>>Sil chips are terrible, and there is a long history of issues with these
>>chips and FreeBSD!
>>
>>  Can you find a regular IDE drive to plug into that motherboard?
>>
>>          -Derek
>
>Plugging an IDE drive into the motherboard is the first thing I did -
>that's the case above where FreeBSD didn't see *any* HD. That's the
>one that really fries my brain, because the motherboard BIOS detects
>it correctly, and XP installs to it just fine.

Any possibility the IDE master/slave jumper is not set right on that drive?

On some intel MB's it takes a reboot into setup so that setup see's the
hard drive, then check that it has that hard drive in the boot order.  I
know this seems a bit simple, but just trying to check all
possibilities.  I've never seen a problem with a standard IDE drive
installation.  After you had XP on the drive did you reformat the drive to
clear it out?

         -Derek

believed to be clean.