reboot in single user

Johan Hendriks Johan at double-l.nl
Mon Jul 9 14:00:32 UTC 2007

>Hi all,

>I'm curious to know if there is a command to reboot into single user mode- *
>more importantly* if I do reboot in single user mode can I still SSH  in?

>My box is not physically near me and I'm upgrading 5.5 to 6.2 - so it this
>possible- or do I need to go get the box and attach a keyboard monitor and
>mouse to it?

>Thanks

Shutdown now goes into single user mode, but it will close SSH !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Better is to manually shutdown al daemons through /usr/local/etc/rc.d and /etc/rc.d to only have sshd running.
If you using natd do not stop it either, because it will disconnect you.

Then you can  finnish the make world cycles.
That is the way I do it from a remote shell, it it only failed me once.

Else try on a spare machine install 5.5 and update it to 6.2 through a ssh version, then you know what to expect.
Also install the main ports you have running on your remote 5.5 box and try if they still work.

Regards,
Johan Hendriks

Jean-Paul