parental control with squid and dansguardian

Zbigniew Szalbot zbigniew at szalbot.homedns.org
Fri Jul 6 11:38:48 UTC 2007

hi,

Thank you all for your comments re FreeBSD as a parental control and
gateway server. I have both squid and dansguardian working and I am left
with configuring them to optimize web browsing and the desired level of
control.

I do not yet have FreeBSD functioning as a real gateway as I will be able
to do it at a later stage. However, there is one thing that leaves me
wondering. In order to use the content filtering as provided by
Dansguardian, I need to configure the browser to look for proxy on port
8080. Now, if someone just changes the port in their browser to 3128 (squid
proxy port), then all content filtering will be bypassed.

What do I need to do in order to avoid someone escaping the control? I am
also wondering how I should bring pf into the picture? I haven't tried yet
as the box is behind a router firewall anyway but I would appreciate your
comments how to marry squid & dansguardian with pf.

Thank you very much in advance!

Warm regards from otherwise cold and rainy Poland,

Zbigniew Szalbot