The worst error message in history belongs to... BIND9!

Bill Campbell freebsd at celestial.com
Tue Jul 3 16:33:40 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jul 03, 2007, Martin McCormick wrote:
>Paul Chvostek writes:
>> This is actually just the difference between sh and bash.  You'll see
>> the latter error if you type `a = 5` in bash in any OS.  It just so
>> happens that most Linux distributions don't have a real sh:
>
>	I kind of thought that was the real issue. While
>something like this is maybe slightly annoying at times, the
>differences in, say, arithmetic handling and loops can sometimes
>mean rewriting parts of shell scripts depending on whether it is
>going to run in BSD or Linux.

That's a major argument for doing things in python or perl as
they are consistent across all platforms.  While perl has a well
deserved reputation for looking like modem noise, it's certainly
no worse than shell scripts.

Pure /bin/sh is very limited in its constructs compared to other
shells such as ksh, bash, etc.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill at Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

Marijuana will be legal some day, because the many law students
who now smoke pot will someday become congressmen and legalize
it in order to protect themselves.
		-- Lenny Bruce