HP Embedded SATA RAID controller (FreeBSD 6.2)

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Fri Jan 26 08:55:28 UTC 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "George Vanev" <vanev at unisoft-ltd.com>
To: "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm at toybox.placo.com>
Cc: "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2007 1:33 AM
Subject: Re: HP Embedded SATA RAID controller (FreeBSD 6.2)

I hate to disappoint you but the embedded SATA controller chip is
a software raid chip, whether you set it up with BIOS or with FreeBSD's
drivers.  Not that this matters, however.  Mirroring does not do parity
calculation and so there is no need for a hardware controller.  All the
SATA chip does when the driver sees a mirror is it sets a flag in the
SATA chip that tells the chip to duplicate any writes to both disks. Reads
always happen from the primary disk.

For true SATA hardware raid you need a card like a 3ware or highpoint
card, these can do raid 5, etc.

Ted