**questions** ssh w/ rsa certs not working

Matt Ruzicka matt at frii.com
Wed Jan 24 22:05:33 UTC 2007

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007, Gabriel Rossetti wrote:

> The user needing to log in is root (I know this is not good and turned off by
> default), so I re-enabled root login with ssh but like I said above, I get a
> password
> prompt when I do : ssh -l root machine2 whoami

Not sure if there is more going on as well, but you might want to set
PermitRootLogin without-password in your sshd_config on the server you are
trying to access.  This /should/ give you a bit more security in that
someone won't be able to brute force your root password if I understand
it, but will allow you to login using the sshd keys (if they are set up
properly).  Might also check file and directory perms on .ssh and the
different key and authorized_keys2 files involved if you haven't already,
seems perms often bite me..

Matt Ruzicka - Senior Systems Administrator
FRII
970-212-0728  matt at frii.net