ssh w/ rsa certs not working

Gabriel Rossetti rossettigab at charter.net
Wed Jan 24 21:56:33 UTC 2007

Hello,

I tried to setup ssh on a FreeBSD 4.8 (OpenSSH_3.5p1) to use
certificates to log in to a FreeBSD 6.1 (OpenSSH_4.2p1) machine, but it
still asks for a password.
I did the same setup, same steps, to get the FreeBSD 6.1 machine to log
into a Gentoo Linux (OpenSSH_4.5p1) machine without any problems.

Having done that, I can be fairly sure that my steps are correct, I
followed this guide :
http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/ssh.html#how_do_i_setup_openssh

The user needing to log in is root (I know this is not good and turned
off by default), so I re-enabled root login with ssh but like I said
above, I get a password
prompt when I do : ssh -l root machine2 whoami

Does anyone have an idea as of why it is not working?

Thank you,
Gabriel