Sysinstall: No Floppy Devices Found

Kevin Kobb kkobb at skylinecorp.com
Wed Jan 17 12:52:48 UTC 2007

Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Jan 2007, Kevin Kobb wrote:
>
>> I have found that when I do an install with an install.cfg file on a
>> floppy, I must insert the floppy right after the system begins to boot
>> from CD. If I don't when I tell sysinstall to read the floppy I get an
>> error.
>
> I've found the floppy works okay when I escape to the bootloader, so I
> can load my KLD at that time.
>
>> As a work around, if I go into the options and select rescan for
>> hardware devices (not sure if that is the exact wording) after
>> inserting the floppy disk, it will work OK as well. Might be worth a try.
>
> I'll be sure to try that, thanks.  Any idea why it's not found
> initially, tho?  I mean, the CONTROLLER is found, so...
>
> Is this the type of thing I should send-pr over?
>
> -Dan
>
> --
>
> "Be happy.  Try not to hurt each other.  Hope you fall in love."
>
> --Mallory, Family Ties Finale (on the meaning of life)

I am not sure why this happens myself. I have also noticed that when I
try to transfer a few files from floppy (during install my install.cfg
mounts the floppy and copies a few custom scripts) the transfer is very
slow, even by floppy disk speed standards.

I haven't worried too much about it because I so seldom use floppies any
more, and plan on getting a better install gameplan (PXE ?) if I install
more than a few systems. Might be worth checking or filing a PR.