How about a Start-Up Script that execute every 30 minutes for resolv.conf???

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Tue Jan 16 10:19:38 UTC 2007

On Jan 16, 2007, at 12:36 AM, [LoN]Kamikaze wrote:

> linux quest wrote:
>> Since, I desperately needed to connect to the Internet at this
>> point of
>> time, I create a file called resolv.conf in /root ... I am
>> thinking how
>> can I create a script so that it can copy resolv.conf from /root to
>> /etc/resolv.conf every 30 minutes at start up - This is because I
>> don't
>> wanna manually type in "cp /root/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf"
>> every 30
>> minutes.

> The suggested script allows you to set your nameservers in rc.conf.
> I seriously doubt you need to do that every 30 minutes. It should
> be enought to write it on startup, so give it a try.

Better idea would be a PR to the docs folks about highlighting the
resolv.conf file section in the handbook: <http://www.freebsd.org/doc/
en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/configtuning-configfiles.html>. I had
to get the single file HTML and search it a bit before I found the
reference shown above (even though I basically knew about it
already). So if you skip over that section of the handbook you won't
see the relevant note to read the manpage for dhclient(8) unless you
ask someone or find another referring manpage.
-Garrett