is THIS why the 6.2 release seems stalled ?

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Thu Jan 11 15:33:23 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 07:52:29PM -0600, Nikolas Britton wrote:

> On 1/10/07, Chris <chrcoluk at gmail.com> wrote:

> ... much excised ...

> >Monday
> >> morning quarterbacks.
> >>
> >> Josef
> >>
> >> --
> >> Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a | FreeBSD 6.1
> >> jgrosch at MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | Berkeley, Ca.
> >>

> >What I think freebsd needs.
> >
> >1 - To fix stuff that works in linux but goes to crap in freebsd, one
> >such example is NFS.
> >2 - A better installer, this is probably the biggest single thing that
> >puts people of freebsd, the less people using freebsd the less funds
> >likely to be recieved.
>

> Could you articulate on point 2?... I don't really see that as a problem.

Well, for me, I find that the installer problems are that some of the
wording for some of the choices seems unclear and sometimes you seem
to have to go back to go forward and things like that.   I know that
there is an intent to allow you to back up any time (as long as you
haven't passed a point of no return like writing the disklabel) and
make changes and add or subtract things, but still, it could make it
more clear what stage you are at, what is finished and what is next
to do, etc.

But, as others have said, I have found it to be quite functional
and installation really quite easy outside of some of the awkwardnesses.

As for his point on funds, I am not sure, but I suppose he is
presuming that if people get turned off by the installer, then
they won't be FreeBSD enthusiasts who make donations or something.

////jerry