6.1 Freezes - Suspect SCSI Issue

Juergen Heberling pjah at hicom.net
Thu Jan 11 04:15:40 UTC 2007

Andrea Venturoli wrote:
> Jeff Royle wrote:
>
>>> I've had freezes as you describe on two different servers with ahd
>>> and SMP. The solution was to turn SMP off, unfortunately :(

I don't think I'm ready to turn SMP off just yet.

>> Are these Xeon's?  If so you might want to try disabling Hyper-threading

.. but I'll try disabling Hyper-threating.
And yes they are Xeon's, the Nocona version.

> No. In my case one is an Athlon64 and the other an Opteron.
>

>> FYI - I have used that particular controller successfully on several
>> servers recently so I don't think that should be a overall issue for you.
Thank you for your vote of confidence on this. I really think this is a
drive issue or a drive/drive compatibility issue due to the weird
results I'm getting on "camcontrol tags" command.   BTW camcontrol
defects shows 0 defects.

> In my case the controller is slightly different (29320), but I think the
> driver is the problem.
I'm running a 29160 on a 4.9FB (dual Xeon) machine and it has been rock
solid for 1.5years.
> It used to work flawlessly as long as I run 5.x, but started freezing as
> soon as I upgraded to 6.1.
> Notice, however, that I don't have data to support my thesis yet.
>

>  bye
>     av.

Thanks again
Juergen