/etc/make.conf CPUTYPE question (nacona vs. pentium4)

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Wed Jan 10 12:34:07 UTC 2007

Nikolas Britton wrote:
> On 1/9/07, Oliver Fromme <olli at lurza.secnetix.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to write an appropriate CPUTYPE entry for
>> /etc/make.conf for the following machine:
>>
>> CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz (2799.95-MHz 686-class CPU)
>>   Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0xf41  Stepping = 1
>>   Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,
>>                       SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,
>>                       DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
>>   Features2=0x441d<SSE3,RSVD2,MON,DS_CPL,CNTX-ID,<b14>>
>>   Logical CPUs per core: 2
>>
>> I've read the appropriate sections in the make.conf(5)
>> manpage, /usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf and even
>> /usr/share/mk/bsd.cpu.mk, but they don't really help.
>>
>> So far I've been using "CPUTYPE=pentium4", but I wonder
>> if "nocona" would be better, however I'm not sure if my
>> CPU above qualifies as a nocona one.  I think the main
>> difference is that nocona supports SSE3, and SSE3 is
>> indeed listed in the CPU features above, so ...
>>
>> Does anybody know for sure?  Thank you very much in advance!
>>
>> Best regards
>>    Oliver
>>

> nocona I believe added 64-bit extensions to the processor. Does your
> processor have 64-bit extensions? A better make.conf would be
> something like this though:
>
> CPUTYPE?=pentium3
> CFLAGS+= -mtune=nocona
> COPTFLAGS+= -mtune=nocona
>
> or
>
> CPUTYPE?=pentium3
> CFLAGS+= -mtune=prescott
> COPTFLAGS+= -mtune=prescott
>
> then use an if endif block to override system wide settings, such as
> with this example:
>
> .if ${.CURDIR:M*/databases/mysql*}
> BROKEN=yes
> .endif

Oliver,
	It appears that there may be some confusion as to which processor you
are running in your machine.
	You can better determine what processor you have by looking at the
Intel processor number site:
<http://www.intel.com/products/processor_number/index_view_p4.htm>. By
looking at both the frequency and the cache size, you can determine what
your CPU is and what support you should enable. If you know the purchase
/ build date for your CPU you can also determine what the model is for
the processor as well much better.
	If your CPU does support nocona, you might want to try enabling the
support, but as others have said you may want to strictly add support
like Nikolas showed, just to be on the safe side. I'm not sure how well
supported the nocona P4 architecture is with the version of GCC used by
FreeBSD.

Nikolas,
	You are correct. The nocona CPUs are dual-core (only?) 32/64bit capable
EM64T processors.

- -Garrett